How To Change Mercedes-Benz Tail Lights
Changing tail lights is not a very complicated process and you can do it if you have the right tools. Even if your Mercedes-Benz is a newer model and has LED tail lights, the modular construction of the tail lights makes it easy to swap them out for new ones. This is a guide on how to do this safely and properly without consulting a mechanic.
It is important to prepare properly for replacement of your Mercedes-Benz tail lights. This will make the process smoother and faster. The important things to consider are:
- Assemble the right tools. Changing tail lights is a relatively straightforward process and may require basic tools such as screwdrivers and a set of spanners. Refer to your user manual on which fasteners are used for your vehicle stay lights so that you can choose the right tools.
- Get the right replacement tail lights. As a rule, you are better off changing both tail lights rather than one. If you need to change only one, make sure that the replacement part is for the correct side you want to replace. You can find the tail light specifications in your user manual or online.
- Choose a safe place to do the replacement. It should be on level ground, cool, and free from any traffic.
Swapping the Tail Lights
With the right preparation swapping the tail lights should be a straightforward issue. The steps needed to achieve these include:
- Switch off the car and disconnect the battery. The latter is not always necessary but helps in safety.
- Unlock the trunk and remove the mats lining the sides and floor of the trunk space.
- Identify the location of all the fasteners connecting the tail lights to the car body.
- Undo the 4 flange nuts. Remember the location where each tail light fastener was from so that during installation you can put them back in the right place. there are two flange nuts at the bottom and two at the top of the tail light.
- Get the tail light that corresponds to the side that you’re changing and compare them. And clip the wire harnesses connecting the tail lights to the car’s electrical system. Use your hands to gently wiggle the tail light out of its place. Refrain from using too much force in removing the tail light as this could damage it or the tail light’s enclosure. The latter could make it difficult to install the new tail light.
- Put the new tail light in place without using too much force. The tail light unit should have come with one end of the wiring harness which you should connect to the car’s wiring. If you have to install new bulbs, make sure that they are the right size and rating for the tail lights and for your Mercedes-Benz model.
- Reconnect your car’s battery and test the tail lights.
It is as easy as that to replace your Mercedes-Benz tail lights, even for newer models. If you run into any problems, it would be best to consult a certified Mercedes-Benz specialist.
Shop for New and Used Mercedes-Benz Vehicles at Mercedes Benz of Huntington
Are you interested in buying a new or used Mercedes-Benz? We have a wide variety of models on offer, and also offer the best customer service available. Visit our dealership to view the different vehicles available as well as an overview of the aftersales services we offer. You can also access affordable vehicle financing. Contact us today to learn more about our services.